Text from October 7th, 2020 after I had escaped for the final time. The violence had escalated and I was too afraid to go home.
Abusers may use a wide range of tactics against domestic violence survivors in the legal system. Domestic violence survivors and advocates report that common
tactics used by abusers include:
* Repeatedly contacting survivor’s attorney in order to harass the attorney or to increase the survivor’s legal fees.
* Filing frivolous motions, appeals, motions for revisions, and motions for reconsideration of court orders.
* Attempting to re-litigate issues that have already been decided by the
* Abusing the discovery process by seeking embarrassing or irrelevant
information about the survivor and by demanding excessive discovery.
* Bringing contempt motions against a survivor without cause.
* Portraying themselves as the victim by seeking their own protection
orders against the survivor and/or the survivor’s friends and family.